Leather furniture brings elegance to wherever you place it because of its innate stylishness and luxuriousness. A natural product, leather has a tone and texture that matches almost any home interior styles. This characteristic makes it easier to accessorize your home with radiant colors throughout the whole year.
Compared to fabric upholstery, modern leather sofas are easier to maintain. The challenge perhaps is in maintaining the sheen and smooth texture of modern leather couches. Unlike fabric upholstered sofas, leather modern couches require gentle cleaners. It may be durable but it is permeable in nature.
It would be better for you to create a homemade cleaner or follow the recommended cleaner of the leather sofa manufacturer. Manufacturers usually suggest cleaning modern leather sofa quarterly or bi-annually.
Modern Leather Sofa Cleaning Tips
- Vacuum the Sofa. Use the soft brush attachment to vacuum the sofa. Reach to the corners and crevices and make sure to draw out the dust. Dust are rough and if left onto the surface can damage the leather if you use a cleaning solution to remove it.
- Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar. Use this mixture to clean your modern couch. Adding a few drops of commercial leather cleaner in water is another alternative leather sofa cleaner solution.
- Soak a clean cloth in the mixture, making sure to wring any excess solution. Wipe the surface of the modern leather sofa starting from the top and working your way downwards.
- Get a clean towel to dry the moist surface. Do not ever attempt to blow dry leather sofa because it will make the leather dry.
- Conditioning leather modern sofa is important so it will maintain the natural sheen. Create a mixture of two parts of flax seed or linseed oil and add it to one part of white vinegar. Use a soft, clean cloth and apply it in broad, circular motions on the leather surface. Let it stay overnight.
- If you want to use a commercial conditioner, only buy the product recommended by the modern furniture manufacturer. You can buy this special conditioner in any modern furniture store and from auto parts shop (for car upholstery).
- Get a clean cloth to buff the leather sofa the following day. This will restore the natural sheen of the material.
- Another cleaning solution that you can use to clean leather couches is water with Dove moisturizing soap. Work out a lather with Dove soap and water. Test this cleaner solution on a discreet area first. If nothing happened, then use it to clean your leather modern couch.
- Others use saddle soap to clean leather-upholstered modern furniture. However, using saddle soap repeatedly over a period of time can dissolve the leather material. Wet a soft, clean cloth in the solution. Remove excess water, making sure the cloth is damp but not wet.
- Avoid exposing leather sofas to direct sunlight. Direct sunlight or bright lights will dry the leather material that can result in damage, such as cracking or discoloration. You should also avoid putting leather sofas in too hot or too cold areas.
- The best tip is to make sure you buy a quality leather modern sofa from reliable modern living furniture online stores. Excellent quality leather is guaranteed to last a lifetime. They get even more comfortable as they age.
Following the above steps will make your modern leather sofa looking great and new. It will last for years giving you and your family comfortable seating and maintaining the elegant look of your home!