One of the reasons why we seem to have a cramped feeling at home is the wrong furniture placement. This happens because some homeowners are confused on how to make use of their space. Although arranging modern furniture does not require you to finish an interior decorating course, you need to know a few rules to make use of your home space efficiently.
- Allot 48 – 100 inches between modern sofas and side chairs. You can move it a little closer if your family prefers it.
- Place the coffee table 14 – 18 inches away from the sofa if you want it in front.
- The basic guideline in placing a TV set is that the room should be three times the size of the screen. This means that a big TV screen requires a bigger area.
- Observe three feet of walking space to avoid bumping on anything. Make it four if you have a big family and have children.
- You need to have 16 inches of space to move the dining chair back from the table. It is also important to note that the chair should be at least 20 inches deep for an average adult to sit comfortably.
- The space in between should be 24 inches, add another 6 inches if members of your family have more gestures when eating.
- When serving guests for a sit down meal, allot 46 inches between your dining table and wall.
- To get out of the bed comfortably, have at least 24 inches between your wall the bed and 36 inches between the edge of the bed and the bedroom door.
You also need to take into account the following factors:
- The design of the doors. Do they open out or in? Doors that open completely should have more space so they will not bang the ends or sides of furniture. It will also be wise to always have a door stopper.
- The design of the rooms. Is there a room in your home that is used as a passageway to another room? The big concern here is if the room is used to go ‘through’ or go ‘to’. It is suggested to have an accessible passable passageway from one room to another if the room is used to go ‘through’.
- Your selected theme or ambiance in the room. Do you want a more open and airy look? Or do you prefer a cozier and a more intimate appeal? Separate modern furniture for an airy look and put the furniture together for a cozier appeal.
- The purpose of the room. If the room is intended for viewing, place the sofa opposite the TV set. If it is intended for conversations, put sofas and chairs near each other. If it is intended for reading, ensure to have a desk or a corner table and put a reading lamp on it. Choose a comfy chair or a chaise.
Extra seating chairs are recommended so you have something to offer to guests. If your space is small, rugs will do.
Another rule to remember is to arrange the furniture according to your family’s needs and limit furniture to the most essential. Then add depending on your requirements.
Use the above tips and bring in some ideas and you are sure to have your modern furniture arranged in the manner you want it to be. Explore is the word. What is important is you and your family is happy with the way you arrange the furniture and have used your space efficiently.