A nice, comfortable sofa is what we crave for after a long hard day at work. You look forward to resting your back, put your feet up with a can of beer or a lemonade while watching TV. Today, the furniture industry offers us several modern sofa styles and designs for maximum serviceability.
The common sofa we know consists of three pieces, with either a 2-, 3-, or 4-seater and two sofa chairs. When furniture builders introduced sectional sofas, homeowners saw a much-improved sofa design. Which of these two types of sofas is better?
Sectional Sofas vs. Regular Sofas
Modern Sectional Sofa
Sectional sofas are larger compared to the regular sofas. Also known as modular seating furniture, it consists of multiple pieces that you can arrange in different configurations. It includes a two-seat sofa or loveseat, a chair or single sofa, and a 3- or 4-seater sofa. The modern sectional sofas can even accommodate more and are more versatile. It features adjustable headrests, wide flared or curled arms, built-in chaise on either the left or right arm, shelves, etc.
- It maximizes a small living space.
- It can sit 5 to 7 or even more people comfortably.
- It can be arranged nicely in the corner of the living room or any room for that matter.
- It frees up extra space for other furniture pieces.
- Its shape is perfect for large families, particularly during bonding moments.
- It can give your home a clean metropolitan look.
- Its configuration and arrangement are conducive to having close conversations between friends.
- It is not fitting for every type of living space. This can pose a problem if you decide to move house.
- It may not fit in some rooms, particularly if the room does not have the appropriate shape for a sectional.
- It may be difficult to get the sectional into your home, especially with narrow doorways.
- It may be difficult to move.
- It can obstruct a doorway or window so avoid placing a sectional sofa near them.
A regular sofa usually comes in three pieces, with a 3- to 4-seater sofa and two sofa chairs.
- It can fit different room shapes, making it a more practical choice.
- It is easier to move.
- It is not limited in the living room. You can place it in any room of your home, in the hallway, bedroom, or home office.
- It is less expensive.
- It can accommodate fewer people.
- Its configuration is limited to three pieces only.
Do You Need a Sectional Sofa or a Regular Sofa?
If you are still undecided what sofa to purchase, the following can help in refining your option.
- The Size and Layout of the Living Room
Space is a huge determining factor. As mentioned above, sectionals take up more space. There should be adequate space in between walkways, doorways, and high-traffic areas.
- Living Room Activities
What are the activities in your living room? Does your family watch a movie together during Friday nights and weekends? Do you or anyone in the household entertain a lot in the living room? How many people are there during these times?
- Your Budget
How much are you willing to spend in buying a sofa? Is your budget sufficient for a sectional sofa or for a regular sofa?
Although sectionals come in modular designs, it may weigh more than a regular sofa. If you do a lot of movement in your furniture, a regular sofa is a better choice.