Sofas have various styles and designs. The arms, seat height, back height, and even legs are different. There’s also the materials used. One of the factors that create a style impact is the sofa arm design.
When thinking of the sofa arms, you need to think of how low or high you want them to be. Again, you need to put importance on the comfort-ability the arms will give you. After all, they were there to support your arms. Some people actually prefer sitting on the side of the sofa because they want something to rest their arms on instead of just putting in on their side.
Remember, I wrote in my last post the four elements that can weigh the comfort rating of a sofa, which is ABCS (Arm height, Back height, Cushion fill, and Seat depth). After discussing the back support or height, we will now go with the arm height.
Sofa Arm Height and Comfort
This is not about the overall height of the arms but the inside arm height, which is from the top of seat to the top of the arms. There are three kinds of sofa arm height:
- 6 or few inches. This sofa arm height is great for formal places like hotel and office lobbies. You can have one in your home office so you can use it when conducting meetings.
- 7 to 9 inches. This is the medium arm height giving your adequate support when leaning your body against the arm. It seems to be the perfect height for resting your head on, particularly when you feel a little drowsy.
- 10 or more inches. This arm height offers the best back support. They are especially good if you want to sit up straight and put your feet up on the sofa seat. They also give you a cozy corner to snuggle in when feeling a bit cold or getting caught up inthe movie you’re watching.
Shorter vs. Higher Arms
You know very well that certain dress styles can make you look slimmer, taller, or bigger. A sofa arm can do the same in your living room by producing a pleasing appearance.
- Choose shorter arms if you sit longer on the sofa.
- Go for shorter arms, too, when buying chairs as you are mostly sitting upright in chairs.
- Shorter sofa arms will make a small space look more open.
- They look better in casual rooms.
- Select higher arms if you want something to lean on even when seated. A height of two to three inches is a good choice.
- They are perfect for lounging areas.
- Higher sofa arms, when placed in a room with tall ceilings, will give the room a more intimate feel.
Taller arms with a height of three inc es require a taller end table. This height of sofa arms will make it difficult to reach for drinks, food, and other things so make sure to pair it off with a taller end table.
Sofa Arm Height and Design
Remember, you can mix and match. You can have a sofa with taller arms and chairs with shorter arms. It is not difficult to do this, though. Get a sofa with taller arms then buy chairs with shorter arms. If you do not want to try mixing and matching sofas and chairs, then place throw pillows against the arms. Placing a throw pillow will give the support you require.
Choose well to get your money’s worth when buying modern furniture. Focusing on what is comfortable for you and your family is essential. This is the main reason why you buy furniture – it is for your comfort and giving your modern living room a new pleasant look.