The color white is just one of the common colors of modern furniture. Would you dare have a white sofa in your living room? Why not? The color white is associated with purity, cleanliness, and safety. Unlike the color black, white connotes positive vibes and represents new, good and successful beginnings. This does not mean, though, that it is recommended for those who have just bought their new home or for new couples. White modern furniture can be used by anyone and in any time of the year. A modern sofa in the living room would be a welcome treat making your living space nice, clean and new.
Unmatched furniture can spoil your living room design even if you have paid much attention selecting furnishings, wallpaper, and rugs. This particularly applies to sofas, as these are the main element in the room and occupy a big amount of space.
Following are some important points to remember when shopping for a modern sofa to obtain the look that you want for your modern living room.
The Sofa Color
Sofas are available in various colors and shades, especially fabric upholstered sofas. These colors range from bright to neutral and come in different shades. If you do not know what is appropriate for your present theme, you will have the tendency to choose the sofa color that stands out from the rest shown in the store.
One of the reasons why we seem to have a cramped feeling at home is the wrong furniture placement. This happens because some homeowners are confused on how to make use of their space. Although arranging modern furniture does not require you to finish an interior decorating course, you need to know a few rules to make use of your home space efficiently.
- Allot 48 – 100 inches between modern sofas and side chairs. You can move it a little closer if your family prefers it.
- Place the coffee table 14 – 18 inches away from the sofa if you want it in front.
- The basic guideline in placing a TV set is that the room should be three times the size of the screen. This means that a big TV screen requires a bigger area.
- Observe three feet of walking space to avoid bumping on anything. Make it four if you have a big family and have children.
- You need to have 16 inches of space to move the dining chair back from the table. It is also important to note that the chair should be at least 20 inches deep for an average adult to sit comfortably.
- The space in between should be 24 inches, add another 6 inches if members of your family have more gestures when eating.
- When serving guests for a sit down meal, allot 46 inches between your dining table and wall.
- To get out of the bed comfortably, have at least 24 inches between your wall the bed and 36 inches between the edge of the bed and the bedroom door.
You also need to take into account the following factors:
- The design of the doors. Do they open out or in? Doors that open completely should have more space so they will not bang the ends or sides of furniture. It will also be wise to always have a door stopper.
- The design of the rooms. Is there a room in your home that is used as a passageway to another room? The big concern here is if the room is used to go ‘through’ or go ‘to’. It is suggested to have an accessible passable passageway from one room to another if the room is used to go ‘through’.
- Your selected theme or ambiance in the room. Do you want a more open and airy look? Or do you prefer a cozier and a more intimate appeal? Separate modern furniture for an airy look and put the furniture together for a cozier appeal.
- The purpose of the room. If the room is intended for viewing, place the sofa opposite the TV set. If it is intended for conversations, put sofas and chairs near each other. If it is intended for reading, ensure to have a desk or a corner table and put a reading lamp on it. Choose a comfy chair or a chaise.
Extra seating chairs are recommended so you have something to offer to guests. If your space is small, rugs will do.