As mentioned in my previous post, it is essential to observe a regular cleaning schedule to take care of your upholstered modern furniture. The best way to take care of upholstered furniture starts with the conviction of wanting them to look new, fresh and stay longer. Here are a few tips to take care of your upholstered modern furniture.
- Vacuum cushions on a weekly basis, including beneath and sides of the cushions.
- Rotate the cushions and fluff them once or twice a week to reduce wear and to keep them even and balanced.
- Do not place upholstered furniture under direct sunlight to prevent fading. If you need to place a modern sofa near the window, use curtains or blinds to protect the furniture caused by exposure to the UV rays of the sun.
- Avoid exposing upholstered furniture near extreme cold or heat. The heat will make the upholstery become brittle that can lead to early deterioration. Use slipcovers if you want upholstered modern patio furniture.
- Read the cleaning instructions on the manufacturer’s manual or tag. The tag code can be found under the sofa or at the lower section of the back. The tag or the manual contains the cleaning methods per manufacturer’s recommendation.
The Tag Codes
‘W’ Code – If the tag code is ‘W,’ the upholstered modern sofa needs light dusting and vacuuming. To remove spots or marks, use a water-based cleaner, such as a non-solvent upholstery shampoo or a mild detergent mixed with water. Test the mixture first by applying it on an inconspicuous area using a soft brush and create circular motions, before using it on the affected area.
‘S’ Code – The ‘S’ tag code also recommends vacuuming and light dusting. Wash marks and spots with a dry-cleaning solution or a water-free solvent. Make sure to clean upholstered modern sofa with an ‘S’ tag code in a well-ventilated room. Do not use any cleaning product that contains carbon tetrachloride. Remember to test the cleaning product in an unobtrusive area. The maintenance of these types of upholstered furniture should be delegated to a professional cleaning service.
‘W-S’ Code – This code recommends light dusting and vacuuming. Use upholstery shampoo, mild solvent, or a foam water-based cleaner to wash stains and blemishes. Ensure to follow the directions carefully if you are using a dry or solvent cleaning product and clean the modern sectional sofa in a well-ventilated room. Do not use cleaning products that contain carbon tetrachloride. Do not use the cleaning solution directly on the affected area. Test it first on a hidden spot.
‘X’ Code – Upholstered modern furniture with as ‘X’ code requires only vacuuming and light dusting. Using solvent cleaners and water may lead to stains, discoloration or worst may cause extreme shrinking of the upholstery.
Getting a protection plan for your upholstered furniture is a great move, particularly when the manufacturer’s warranty has expired. Modern furniture manufacturer’s warranty usually covers defects but not damages, accidental stains. When purchasing from an online modern furniture store, choose a store that offers you an option to purchase a protection plan that is good for five years. Furniture protection plans cover cleaning stains caused by cosmetics, foods and pets, as well as repair of tears, punctures or burns. Although these protection plans have exclusions, they assure you of getting the value of your investment.