Marble is a thick soft stone that is usually used for floors but is also used for furniture. Known for its timeless elegance and classic beauty, marble is susceptible to scratching and staining. If you plan to purchase marble top tables, you need to know the proper way to take care of it. Marble top tables can last for several years and passed on to your children and to the next generations when properly maintained.
Aside from its beauty, there are several factors that make marble top tables a good purchase.
- It complements any type of modern furniture and décor.
- It is a good conversation piece.
- It never goes out of style.
- It is a good accent piece.
- It is durable and can outlive your other furniture if properly cared for and maintained
- It is available in different colors.
To take care of marble top tables so they will last you longer –
- Get a towel and soak it in hot water to clean the marble top table. Ensure to wring excess water to avoid water from dripping on the table top. Water droplets will cause scarring and will destroy the beauty of the table. Re-soak the towel before using it again on the table, making sure that you squeeze it well.
- To remove stains on a marble top table, mix baking soda and water to make a poultice. (The consistency should be like that of a sour cream.) Apply the poultice on the stain for at least 24 hours. For extremely tough stains, leave the paste for 48 hours.
- For melted butter spills on a marble top dining table, sprinkle a large amount of cornstarch on the area. Get a brush to spread the powder and leave it for 24 hours. Mix some detergent and hot water. Dip a brush into the mixture and scrub the stain. Wet a clean cloth with ammonia and wipe the marble top.
- To remove lotion and cream stains, mix baking soda with acetone or amyl acetate. Spread the poultice on the stain.
- For rust stains, apply a rust stain remover solution directly on the stain.
- To polish your marble top table, use tin oxide or putty powder. Get a damp cloth and rub the solution on the table top.
Reminder: Do not use the above poultice recipe and solutions on your marble top table regularly to avoid losing its sheen.
- Clean the stains immediately to avoid them from getting stuck onto the marble top. Tougher stains may fade but may leave a mark onto the surface.
- Always dry the marble top table with a clean dry cloth with circular movements. Do not air-dry it, as this can dull the surface.
- Do not use household cleaners with chemicals to avoid staining. Stick to natural household cleaners.
- Avoid lighting any flammable objects like lighter or candles on the surface of a marble top table.
- Avoid putting acidic substances on the surface as this may scrape the surface.
- Always use table mats on your marble top dining table and coasters when serving beverages and saucers when serving coffee or tea. This will prevent the formation of rings caused by hot cups and wet glasses.
Marble may be long-lasting, but negligence can shorten its lifespan. This A&X Bellagio Luxurious Transitional Marble Dining Table will to keep its beauty and sheen if you observe the above maintenance tips for marble top dining tables.